Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Writing Challenges

I recently posted a comment over at Talking Animal Addicts about writing challenges, and this made me start thinking. What is one of your writing challenges?

Me, I challenge myself to take notes, all day long. I have to take notes, because with my job I do not always have the luxury of writing full scenes as they come to me. That has to wait until lunch break at least! But I always have post-its in my pocket, and when that little voice speaks inside my brain, I KNOW I'm going to regret it if I don't write a note down and capture the essence of the idea. If I leave it and try to commit it to memory alone, I know that little gem of an idea will go away and ne'er return. I have piles and piles of post-its that I bring home, with occasional snippets of dialogue and quick sketches of characters done while I'm on the phone and able to multi-task. These are my "scraplets." Once I get them home I input them in the computer. Some become full-fledged novel ideas. Others simmer on the back burner of the "Hmm" stove until I can decide whether they're usable or not.

Another challenge I set for myself is to always, always, always write down my vivid dreams. I've jerked myself awake before, sitting upright and grappling for a pen before I've fully woken in order to frantically scribble down details before I forget them. I've had three fully-plotted stories come to me, and I've actually finished the manuscript for one just the other day, and it's a doozy! So, always write down your dreams.

How about you? What is your writing challenge, or goal you recommend for other writers?

Until later, God Bless!
Cat

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for offering that challenge suggestion on T.A.A., Cat, I hope others come soon. It's not that I had a lack of ideas, but it's clear I was moving in a direction that overwhelmed people instead of motivating them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it got ME thinking about challenges, so thanks for that. I wasn't sure what to post for today until I commented on your blog, so we helped each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat, taking notes is really useful for me, too. And I scribble down my dreams on the mornings after (hopeful that I remember them) and these are great sources of story inspirations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat, I have mini notebooks and a digital voice recorder in my purse at all times. Yesterday I stopped for gas and used both! LOL. You never know when those ideas are going to strike. And like you, I can't rely on my memory. I have to get them down at that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dreams like that! Those are the best!

    ReplyDelete

See my comment box? Want to know a secret?

*whispers* It's actually a TARDIS comment box! If you write long enough, you'll see... it's bigger on the inside!

Isn't that cool?

Now that you know that, aren't you going to throw a comment in there? You KNOW you want to. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...