Monday, January 10, 2011

Ideas From Books and Writers

Do you read just to read, or do you read to get new ideas? How many times do you finish a story, and find that your brain is suddenly teeming with new ideas?

I don't really go to a book, intending to be struck with new ideas. However, I admit that most books inspire me to read more in whichever genre I just finished, and to see if my brain kicks in with some inspiration of its own. For instance, I just finished "Under the Green Hill" by Laura Sullivan, and now I'm dying to read up on May Day, and the Seelie and Unseelie courts, and see what kind of story my mind comes up with. Now, I'm reading "Leviathan" by Scott Westerfield, and I'm itching to read more Steampunk and visualize old stories in this Steampunk setting. I mean, how novel would it be to have a Steampunk Rapunzel? Seriously?

(As an aside, I watched "Tangled" a couple weeks ago. I highly recommend it. It was such a novel take on an old story.)

In the same tone, do you read of another writer's success and get excited to start submitting more? Or do you just feel depressed and rather "un-writerly"? How often do you read of someone else's success, and get pumped to do some success writing of your own? I admit, reading of others successes makes me DETERMINED to succeed, as well.

For example, one of my critique partners, Kelly Hashway, is ROCKING! She is a serious role model for me. I want to be just like her when I grow up. (Including the stay-at-home Mom addition, Kelly. Just so you know. ;)) She has gotten tons of acceptances recently, including a forthcoming Picture Book. Congratulations, Kelly! She has inspired me to get digging into my own writing, and not just to write, but to submit, submit, submit.

So, what's your opinion? Do you read books to get ideas, or just to read? Do you read success stories just to get motivated, or just to congratulate the writer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

See my comment box? Want to know a secret?

*whispers* It's actually a TARDIS comment box! If you write long enough, you'll see... it's bigger on the inside!

Isn't that cool?

Now that you know that, aren't you going to throw a comment in there? You KNOW you want to. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...